Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Swimming pool


The community swimming pool is right across the street from our house. It's only a $1.50 for me to swim, and all kids under 5 are free. But they have a nice little kiddie pool. So what I think Morgan and I will be doing a lot of this summer is heading to the pool. I'll bring a book and and sit back as Morgan plays in the kiddie pool. Free fun.
We went a few days ago to do this. It had been hot all week, and I didn't think to even check the weather before promising him we'd go swim. After getting him all covered in sunscreen and excited, we went outside. And it was cold. Not freezing, but too cold to swim. However, you can't exactly get away  with telling your three year old "never mind" like that, so we went anyway. It was very breezy and cloudy. But he had fun.




Unfortunately, the weather worsened in a very short amount of time. It was actually really lame, our timing. We got there, he got wet for about a minute, then the whistles blew signifying that it was the lifeguard break time and that everyone under the age of 16 had to get out of the pools. So, now soaking Morgan, has to get out and sit in the cold wind for at least five minutes. I'm not sure how long the break is, but it seems longer than five minutes. 
He finally was allowed back in, but it kept getting colder. Then it started raining. Marvelous. He really didn't get much time to play and was NOT happy about leaving. But if I was wishing for a jacket, Morgan must have been freezing. So we left with a promise that we would be back. Then it was barely over 60 degrees for the rest of the week and there was lots of rain. Morgan is still waiting for the fulfillment of that promise.

Yesterday though, I was talking to some ladies here that all seem to have their young children in swimming lessons. I asked them last year about swimming lessons and they said the youngest they take were six year olds. So I lamented that he wouldn't be getting any swimming lessons again this year without checking again. Apparently they changed their policy. Now they have a 3-5 year old class. The first session started yesterday, but we got him signed up for a session in July. The weather should be nicer in July anyway, especially since it's an outdoor pool and lessons are in the morning. 

1 comment:

angela said...

I remember when Caldwell had a kiddie pool outside the chain linked big pool. I think we still played in it when we were ten years old. In ankle deep water I felt safe. Didn't take swimming lessons until I was 12 years old. Our fear of water we inherited from mother.
Kids are learning everything younger now days. (Spoken like a true old timer)