Monday, January 21, 2008

Of church, chairs, and challenges

Yesterday we went to church and sat in the gym, like we always do, for Sacrament meeting. So instead of cushioned benches we had the hard chairs. The plastic kind, not the metal ones. I sat Morgan in one between Aaron's chair and mine. Being a rather active boy, he wasn't just going to sit still and listen to the speaker, and instead did the thing that babies do and stood up on the chair and looked at the people making faces at him behind us. Then he started to play peek-a-boo with someone. He knelt down on the chair and would hide his head behind it, and then poke it up. Peek-a-boo! This is how he discovered the very intriguing holes in the back of these chairs. This is how we discovered that the holes are just about the same size as...
Morgans' head.



So, while he was still on the chair, he bent over and stuck his head through the hole. What fun. He pulled it back through. Then he tried again. This time it didn't come back through as easily and he got a bit scared and needed mommies help. Funny.
Later on, Morgan was wandering from our row. He only went to the row in front of us, so I didn't bother to get him. He wasn't bugging anyone or anything at the moment, so I just watched him. Well, he RE-discovered the holes in the chair, but this time from behind, while standing up. I foresaw disaster, so I went to get him, but I was too late. His head was already stuck. This time he managed to get an arm in the hole with the head. Notice how I didn't describe the hole as being the size of Morgan's head plus one arm? Morgan was kind of freaking out while I and two other near-by ladies tried to gently free him. We managed to get his arm out, but that gave him more mobility and he turned himself completely around. Now his head was still stuck, but he was looking at the ceiling while doing an uncomfortable back bend. This whole time we were trying to get his head out, but somehow it must have grown because he wasn't coming! Plus, his wiggling and resistance wasn't helping. We finally succeeded when one lady lifted his body horizontally to the hole, while I directed his head through without catching his chin or nose. He wasn't happy, but I couldn't help but chuckle my way to my seat. I noticed that everyone in the near vicinity was also containing their laughter so as not to interrupt the meeting. Ah, boys!

3 comments:

SouthfieldFam said...

I am so glad to hear that my son is not the only one whose head is the same size as the hole in the back of the chairs! Ryker did that and we had to haul him and the chair out into the foyer to get his head out. Poor Bishop had the giggles the rest of the meeting everytime we made eye contact! Glad you found the link to our blog! Keep in touch!
Jessica Southfield

Melanie said...

That's hilarious! Ah, good ol' Bishop Kener...

Deborah Austin said...

Oh what a funny story! I love it. I am so glad I am not the only one that has crazy kids :) Oh that boy is cute such a little man, I'm glad he is ok that is what makes those stories so funny is that they put themselves in those situations but they usully in the end turn out ok and then we can laugh at them later, fun stuff!!

Deborah