Thursday, April 24, 2008

101 word stories

Awhile ago I was introduced to the writing of 101 word stories. The challenge is getting an actual story to fit into that word limit, rather than just having thoughts or something incomplete. Here's a couple stories that I've written. If you're so inclined, feedback would be nice. It doesn't have to be positive. :)

Stream of Consciousness
Her hair in a sloppy bun, wearing yesterday’s makeup and cotton pajamas, she brought the basket of clean laundry to the bed.

I better check when that bill is due. Dishes. Always dishes. Oh good,
the stain came out. We need more milk. Bread? Maybe when the baby is napping, if I’ve vacuumed by then, I can read. Shoot! I forgot to check his pockets again; good, it’s only a receipt. Next I’ll clean the kitchen. Or shower. Maybe I won’t shower today. I’d better take the trash out.

Sighing, she looked out the window. It looked like a beautiful day.

Crazy
It was a delicious secret. All her thoughts were gleefully influenced by her elaborate ruse. They all thought she was crazy. A lunatic. She sat in the corner of the common room and laughed heartily as she pondered her guise.
“Maggie, your pills,” said the nurse.
What would a crazy person do? Maggie considered, started madly rocking back and forth, and knocked the pills to the floor. Yes, that is what a crazy person would do. Maggie looked into the face of the gullible nurse and knew she had succeeded again. Maggie started giggling uncontrollably.
“So funny, Maggie,” muttered the nurse.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

I really like that first one oh so much but you knew that already.