Wednesday, April 30, 2008

101 2

Due to popular consent, (haha!) I will post another 101 word story or two.

All Alone

I often come read at Liberty Park. I'm the one at table with the missing bench.

The little girl that frequents the playground near my bench, always without friend or parent, skips everywhere, chatters non-stop and often erupts into spontaneous giggles. It irritates me.

Almost shouting, I ask, “Why don't you have any friends, anyway?”

Bewildered, the girl looks at me, gestures to her right, and says, “I always have Charlie.”

I roll my eyes. An imaginary friend. With an unblinking gaze, the girl stares at me, then, after a whispered conversation with Charlie, says, “Do you wanna borrow him?”



Hidden Treasures

Wishful thinking. I could hear my wife’s voice in my head as I admired a beautiful speedboat for sale. She’d say that for anything though. When I arrived home with a new mp3 player a few months ago, neighbors two houses away overheard her conniption. Can’t afford…bills…groceries!
I fumed all the way to the storage unit. After entering my code in the keypad I opened the door and placed my new pair of Nike basketball shoes on top of the car stereo box, which was tucked snugly between the Playstation games and my guitar case.
Then I went home, empty handed.


Thoughts?

5 comments:

Luke said...

The All Alone story is still my favorite.

Anonymous said...

I love your 101 stories. I especially like "All Alone". But the second story was totally surprising with the storage unit ending.

Aunt Jocile, who is on a mission, said that in a Zone Conference their mission president challenged everyone to write about the Fall of Adam and Eve in 32 words. They did that and read some of the very enlightening responses.

Then he asked them to do the same thing in 16 words. Again, very interesting results.

Finally, one more time in only 8 words. This brought the whole concept of the Fall into sharp focus in its most juicy core.

I love your 101 essays. Have a wonderful evening.

Love, Dad Nelson

PS any more temper tantrums?

Anonymous said...

Melanie I tried to comment on this using my name.... okay first things first, I love the All Alone it's pretty great. The second one reminds me of a great episode of Yes, Dear. Secondly, it's me Stephanie and I tried to comment using my name only to find out my password is incorrect, the password that I have saved and automatic. I think Randy got to it. Would you mind checking if I still even have a blog? Thanks.

Melanie said...

Stephanie, you still have a blog. Nothing seems to be added to it or deleted either.

Anonymous said...

thanks. I still can't get in it to do anything! Grr! Says the account doesn't exist. :(