Monday, April 28, 2008

Tantrum time

Morgan isn't two yet, but sometimes he's terrible. It started about a week ago. At first I thought Morgan was acting up because he wasn't feeling well, but he is fine now, and still the fits. Every afternoon around 4 or 5 Morgan has screaming tantrums that last almost an hour. This is new to me. Morgan has been a GREAT baby, doesn't cry much and very complacent. What has happened? These hour long tantrums are accented by smaller ones throughout the day when he doesn't get what he wants. Last night around 7:30 I changed Morgan's diaper, but didn't put his pants back on him because the diaper leaked and they were wet. I'm not sure if that was the catalyst of his anger, but he lay on the ground crying and screaming. Then he fell asleep and turned into my sweet little angel.

(I don't know why both pictures are so fuzzy. All of them were.)



About a half hour later I picked him up to put him in bed and he immediately woke up and resumed his tantrum. What do I do with him? How are you supposed to handle that? I've kind of been ignoring him when he's like that, but I don't see any good results. Is this the beginning of the terrible twos that I've been warned about? If so, does that mean his terrible stage will end early since it began early? Mmmm?

3 comments:

Smullin Family said...

Oooo, I'm feeling for you. Those tantrums can be nasty. Our #2 has doozy tantrums! We hoped she'd grow out of them...she's 9 now and still going strong (ok, they are a little less frequent now).

Once a "seasoned" mother told me, that each time her kids were getting ready for the next stage of growth, they would get cranky. Maybe that's what's going on with Morgan????

Isn't parenthood tricky? You think you've figured your kid out and then they go and change on you.

Morgan... be nice to your mother!!!

jjertmann said...

Sounds like the terrible two's to me! Clara hit them at about 18 months and they were gone by the time she turned two. I'm saying there's hope!

Tiffany Hales said...

I feel your pain! And as a frequent reader of my blog you know how much I feel your pain. All year long I have been wishing Mark would grow out of them, but no such luck. I usually ignor him, because he hates it when I don't give him attention. Once he has calmed down I talk to him. He does have to go to his room if the tantrum is violent, or he has hit, shoved, pushed, ect his sister, usually Katie.