Thursday, June 26, 2008

Dirty hands

Aaron read somewhere that a study was done showing that a large percentage of first born children hate to have dirty hands. Aaron is the oldest child and hates having dirt or anything on his hands. Morgan, even though he's only 20 months and as such has a tendency to get dirty, sticky hands, seems to hate it also. Morgan's not great at using utensils when he eats so often uses his fingers to help. Introduce dirty hands. After a meal I get out the cloth to clean him up. I usually start with the face, but Morgan doesn't care about his face. He squirms away and holds his hands up while saying "hands, hands".
When Morgan trips outside or something and gets dirt on his hands he claps and brushes them together like you and I would do, or wipes them on his clothes.
On Morgan's first birthday we did the thing where we gave him a piece of cake and let him tear into it. But he didn't. He tentatively touched the frosting, got it stuck on his fingers and made funny faces as he tried to un-stick it. He clearly didn't like it. I think it's funny.

3 comments:

Smullin Family said...

Study is true in our family's case. Rylee hated having dirty hands! Like Morgan, she barely touched her 1yr old b-day cake. Taylee (2nd child) TOTALLY different story...tore into the cake. Dean's oldest was the same. Tim's oldest seems to be the same also. I'm not sure about Tawnya's Kyrick, but it very well could be.
I believe the study!
I think it may also have a little to do with being a first time mom too. We have more time and attention focused on the first child and can watch everything they do. We can also be concerned about dirt and getting their cute outfits ruined. :o)

Stephanie said...

Well.... Anna (child one) didn't care at all whether her hands were dirty. Matthias (child two) cannot stand it. Like usual, my family and I contradict the norm. So proud I am!

Stephanie said...

oh. And I have a facebook thing now. I think it's dumb but I don't get it yet. So you can stop bugging me about it. :D