Sunday, June 29, 2008

My book

So, I'm writing a story. A novel. I started it a couple of years ago but lost motivation or something somewhere a long the way. But I hadn't forgotten about it. Now I have resumed in it's writing. In it's completion it will not be a great literary work. Not award winning material by any stretch. All I'm shooting for is an entertaining read. I have 40 some pages and when I read it I am entertained. How vain is that? Plenty. I've wanted to be a published author for a long time and think it would be awesome it this were the first novel to be published. It would need tons of editing and such, of course.
It's purely fiction. No meaning to it, really. The idea of the story came from a day dream that I used to have frequently. I find that my writing goes smoother if I spend time going through more story in my head as a daydream before going to sleep or something, and then I write it down.
I wish I had an editor or publisher or somebody that would be very interested in the progress of the book. Someone to make sure I am making progress and keep me working on it.

So here's the preface as it stands now. It is subject to change as I don't really know how the book will go completely.

I’m 23.
I’m also 34. I have even spent some time in what I believe was my 7th decade.
I’m 17, and I’m married. I have at least one grandchild, probably more.
I used to be only 17; 17 and a senior in high school. I had a boyfriend named Chuck. I never liked his name, but he doesn’t matter anymore. Now I have jumped. Chuck isn’t in any jumps, only Ryan is. But my first jump was when I was 17, a senior in high school, and had a boyfriend named Chuck.

That's it. If you picked up a book and read this prologue would you want to continue reading? I'm open to suggestions and revisions.

7 comments:

Luke said...

Congratulations, Melanie! I have read an earlier version of this work, and I have to say that it is probably your best. I hope you find the dedication to finish it (novels are hard!), and I know you can.

Keep me up to speed.

kura2025 said...

I'm always willing to read and critique...I didn't get the writing bug that my mom and aunts seem to have but I love editing.

Melanie said...

And who might you be, kura2025?

Melanie said...

Ah, nevermind. I just thought to click on your name and found out who you were. I didn't know you had a blog.

kura2025 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
kura2025 said...

Probably would have been move blog savy to leave my name but I'm still new at this. I heard about your blog when I was in Boise for Ambers wedding. Everyone loves it so I had to check it out!

Stephanie said...

wow Melanie's famous! Um... now in your original, wasn't your main character male?