Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Jack of all trades; master of none

See the title? It's kind of how I am. Actually, calling me a jack of all trades is too generous.
I can do some things okay, but nothing really well. For me, practice really doesn't seem to make anything perfect. I hit a plateau with everything, rather early on, and there I remain.
Like piano. I can read music, play simple songs, but no matter how much I practice, I can't play anything worth playing.
I can sing. Once again, I can read music, sing alto, maybe even stay on pitch, but I don't sound good, and you'd never want to hear me sing a solo. I'm more of a choir type.
I can play sports. I am competitive, really enjoy them, can see the right strategies, know what I should be doing, but I can't seem to make my body perform like it should, and I am forever under par. Unless I play golf; then I am over par.
I'm mostly a B student.
I can draw well enough for Pictionary. But that is all.
I know (most of) the rules of writing. I can put sentences together. I can make up stories. But let's face it, my writing is average, and I know it.
I can cook. At least, I can follow a recipe and things turn out edible. But never spectacular.

I could go on. Sometimes I just wish that I could say I was expert at something, (other than sudoku.) Public speaking? No. Making friends? Uh-uh. Making the boys do a double take? Hahaha! Decoration? I wish.
But seriously.
My heart is in it, but my abilities aren't, and it pretty much sucks.
That is all. Just a gripe. I know what I can do, and I know what I can't, so please don't feel obligated to argue. I'm not doing that girl thing where I say something so you will say it isn't so.

No comments: