Sunday, November 30, 2008

My first skiing experience

Homeschool Ski. That's what they called it. If you homeschooled, you could sign up for three days of skiing at Bogus Basin, which included a lift ticket, ski rentals and a ski lesson, for a very low price. I think the local schools had a similar opportunity. So me and my three younger brothers, plus some of their friends, all signed up. Boy was I excited! We arrived about an hour and a half before the lessons would start, so we decided to try the bunny hill. I first waited for my brothers to go down. I watched them and they seemed to have no problem, so I went up the lift, and started down the hill full of optimism and hope. I immediately had an out of control crash, and wrote the following...

Jan. 13, 2002

It amazingly didn’t hurt physically. My pride, however, was bruised. It took me about an hour to get down the hill. I fell so many times, and it is so hard to stand up. I also spent about 10 minutes trying to get a ski back on. When I was nearing the bottom, I took a nasty spill right into the tow rope. My arm hooked something that you hold on to anh it nearly turned me around. I was in a lot of pain. I was so mad, I was ready to cry. Embarresment, pain and frusteration aren’t a good mix. So, I just took off my ski’s and walked the rest of the way down.

Then I mentioned how it was almost time for the lessons.

However, at this point, I despised skiing. I never wanted to return to the evil place. I wanted to leave right then. All the boys had no problems with the sport. They zoomed past me like 3 times when I was trying to figure out how the brakes worked.

So, I explain how Jason managed to get us into the wrong class. We wanted Beginner, but we instead went into level 1. Oops. The instructors immediately knew that I didn't belong there and got me into the right place. However, all of my brothers and their friends stayed in the Level 1 class since they were already skilled enough for it. Oh the humiliation. But wait, is that a silver lining I see?

My instructor is Joseph. He’s really cute and nice.

1 comment:

Candice said...

What a great tradition! I love your creativity!