Monday, July 27, 2009

The Green Bean Lament

When I planted my garden, I planted a row of green beans. Those little charmers were the first plants to pop out of the ground, giving me many warm fuzzies. My happiness increased with each new baby green been plant. At our peak, I counted 20 plants.
Now, folks, we are down to ten. And at least two of those haven't got any leaves on them anymore and are on their way to death. After much sadness and worried contemplation and a battle with the red ant hills nearby, I've concluded that the perpetrator is a gopher. It goes underneath my hill and pulls out the plants from down there! He pulls them into his underground burrow leaving nothing for me to bury up top. I feel pretty helpless to stop it too.

In happier news, my yellow squash plants, (which haven't been stolen by ugly, bucktoothed, vermin) have fruit growing! The big yellow flowers have turned into little yellow squashes. Ooooh, I'm so excited. Now I just need to figure out how to know when to pull them.

The End

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

you shoulda shown me your garden!