Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Adventures

We spent Memorial Day weekend in Idaho with family and all had a great time. (Especially me, since I had my birthday there and got lots of presents. ) I will post some pictures later.

Yesterday we had a bit of an adventure. To tell that story I will back up a few days. Since Aaron has all Friday's off we decided to drive up to Caldwell after he got off of work on Thursday. That meant it was going to be almost 7:00 all ready. To save a few minutes I met Aaron at the grocery store where his van pool drops him off so he wouldn't have to drive home. So we left the little car in the parking lot the whole weekend. So yesterday we got home, unpacked then headed to the grocery store to pick up the car. Aaron was also going to go into the store to get mouse traps, (we found a dead mouse in the basement upon our return!) so I dropped him off and took Morgan home. Before he got out of the car he made a comment akin to "Maybe we should check to see if the car will start first." But then he dismissed it as unnecessary. Okay.
I went home. Aaron didn't. I kept wondering what was taking him so long to get mousetraps. Then I thought of his random, dismissed comment. Then I thought of my phone. I had left it in the car. So I went to get it to see if I missed any calls. Indeed I had. I had 3 calls from an unrecognizable 801 phone number. I remembered that Aaron's phone was dead. I called the number back but only got the voicemail of one called Karen. So I loaded Morgan into the car and headed to Smith's in a heroic effort to rescue my husband. The whole way there I paid very close attention to all the cars going the opposite direction in case one of them was Aaron. Upon arriving at the store my first item of business was to locate the car. It wasn't in the same spot as it was in when I dropped Aaron off, but I soon found it a several yards away parked somewhat diagonally in two spots. Aaron wasn't to be seen though. So I went and looked through the whole grocery store for my missing husband. I didn't see him anywhere. I went back to the car with hopes that Aaron had returned. No such luck. I studied everyone at the gas station. Perhaps Aaron had no gas and had to go to the Smith's gas station for some gas. Not there either. So I got into the the little car and tried to start it. It made the strange sounds that I attributed to a bad battery. So maybe Aaron got a ride to a car parts store? Perhaps he got a ride home and was wondering where I was. I tried calling the unfamiliar 801 number again but got the voicemail. I called my home to see if perhaps Aaron had called there to get a phone number of my relatives that live near by so they could help him since I didn't answer my phone. But no. So I decided to go back home to see if Aaron was there waiting for me. (Though that answer didn't make much sense because he would have plugged his phone in and tried to contact me again.) When I was almost home I discovered why he hadn't done just that. He was walking! Oh, poor Aaron! He was almost home too. Of all the scenarios that I imagined, him walking home wasn't considered. The store isn't really very far, but he had just had a tiring day of driving and such. Also, most of the walk is up hill. I probably didn't see him walking on the way there because I was so focused on all the cars. I'm afraid I don't make a very good hero.
Aaron told me his side too. The car did have a dead battery (for no known reason) and Aaron went back into the store to the customer service desk. I think they used the loud speaker thing to ask if anyone had jumper cables. There was no response. The lady there let Aaron use her phone to call me. That was less than 10 minutes before I checked my phone. So Aaron went back out to see if he could start it again. He tried to push start it, which is why it was in a different spot. When that failed he saw his only alternative as walking home. This all would have been avoided if I had my phone with me. Or even if Aaron had his on, so I could have called him. Oh well.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Melanie & Aaron,

How late was it when all this was taking place?

I assume by now you have the little care home. Sometimes those long days just get longer.

Thank you for a wonderful visit. We love you.

Dad Nelson

SouthfieldFam said...

Stories like that make me wonder what we ever did before cell phones!?! I am SO reliant on mine it's scary! Glad everything turned out all right!

A*Waite said...

I am so glad you found your hubby safe and sound! Sounds like you had a good time in Idaho!
Amber