Thursday, May 29, 2008

A tale to tell

This morning I decided to finally go to the aerobics class again. I'm not feeling as sick in the mornings, so it was time. So I put on my brand new exercise pants that I got for my birthday, and my new tennis shoes that I got for my birthday and I loaded Morgan into the car along with the diaper bag, water bottle, my new exercise ball that I got for my birthday and my new exercise mat that I got for my birthday. I was ready. I opened the garage and was immediately dismayed to see a huge construction truck and trailer completely blocking my driveway. There was no way I was getting out. So I stood in my driveway staring unhappily at this obstacle with hopes that a construction worker would notice my need to get out of my driveway and move their truck. But when that didn't work I decided I would just walk. It was already 9:00, so I knew I would be late. But the church building wasn't too far down the road, and since I was already ready I didn't want to stay home. So I loaded Morgan, the diaper bag, water bottle and exercise mat into the wagon. I saw no convenient way to take the exercise ball.
The trip there was all down hill. I walked fast and just made sure that the wagon didn't go faster than me. I arrived at the church and saw only two cars. Thursday's aren't usually very well attended though. No worries. However when I got to the doors they were all locked. The cars weren't familiar either. It took me a little over 10 minutes to get there so it was after 9:00 but it usually lasts till after 10. In fact, it often doesn't really get started until 9:15. By now Morgan was running around the lawn and having fun, so I dejectedly sat on the church steps and let him. No need to rush home, right? The sun was shining, the sky was blue with a few wispy clouds. That's why I was completely caught off guard when I heard a crash of thunder. I turned around and looked up the hill, the way we'd come and groaned in disbelief at our misfortune. Ominous, black thunder clouds filled the whole sky. (this picture doesn't do it justice)

I hurried and loaded Morgan into the wagon again. No time to rest or play if we were going to beat this storm. It took me over ten minutes to get there going quickly down hill. How long would it take to trudge up? At least I had my running shoes on. I envisioned what I would have to do if it started raining hard before we made it home. To protect my summery dressed son I would have to use my exercise mat to create a sort of covered wagon. I kept following the lightening strikes up the hill wishing that I had taken a stroller instead. It's easier to push a stroller up than it is to pull a wagon. I was getting closer and closer with no downpour yet. I might make it after all. Suddenly a strong wind hit. My slumped and forlorn shadow disappeared with the sun. But we were almost there. So I pushed on through the wind and flying dust, anxious to get my boy out of the cold. We finally made it home. The truck still blocked my driveway. I left Morgan in the wagon and ran inside to open the garage. When I got back out to Morgan and the wagon something was wrong. My brand new, never been used, fresh out of the package, exercise mat was no longer in the wagon. UGHH! How long had it been missing?! I looked all around and caught no sight of anything blue. I walked down our street and peered around the corner. Still nothing. I walked out of our little neighborhood and looked down the long street we walked up. I didn't see it anywhere. But there was a little curve up ahead. So I pulled Morgan down the street further, that just minutes before we were happy to escape. As I rounded the curve I finally saw it. It had been blown up to the median in the road, the curb blocking further progress. I walked swiftly down the middle of the road knowing that the wind could take it at any moment. Sure enough, when the mat thought we were too close for comfort, it sprang to life, leaping over the median, across the street and down the road. This mat is still so new that it's shape is rolled up into a scroll. Perfect for being blown down a hill. Perfect for rolling away from me. So I ran. I am not a runner, it gives me asthma attacks, but to rescue my mat I ran. With a wagon and toddler in tow. Fortunately there was no traffic on my side of the street, but I needed to get to the other side, so as soon as there was a break in the median I crossed. Actually, I had to wait for two cars to pass, losing precious time. The mat was blown out into the street right in front of one car that I almost ran out right in front of. So wreckless, this mat. The chase continued, the wind propelling us both onward, though doing much more for the mat that was winning this race. I was getting desperately tired and was losing faith. But lo! A hero in form of a repair man! Being downwind of the mat, he stopped it cold when it reached him, and pinned it to the curb. *Cue the victory trumpets* My chase was over! With nothing but thanks to offer my hero, I wedged the delinquent mat into to wagon and recommenced my climb to home. We still beat the rain.
I took the pictures on the walk back up, (while inside to open the garage I also grabbed the camera) and I took the pic of the truck blocking our driveway when we got home. About a half hour later the foreman of the construction in the neighborhood came to the door to apologize for the truck parking in my way and said he could make them move if I needed to go somewhere. I'm pretty sure that someone saw me take a picture and was worried that I was going to try to make trouble. :) Whew!
Sorry this was so long. Good on ya if you read it all!

7 comments:

Luke said...

Sounds like quite the adventure! It rained all weekend while we were in St. Anthony, I'll be happy if I never see it again.

SouthfieldFam said...

Don't you love those days? At least you got your mat, it would have sucked to do all that running for nothing! Glad to hear that you are feeling better!

Bobbi said...

You are quite the story teller, my friend. :) At least you got some exercise in, right? ;)

Anonymous said...

Who needs a class when you can get real world exercise.

But your story makes me wonder, I don't think I've ever seen a video on parkour while towing a wagon.. It might start a new fad..."Parkour Moms".

Love, Dad Nelson

Anonymous said...

What a word picture you created! I laughed & laughed.

Jana

Tiffany Hales said...

I love, it, great story!

Stephanie said...

side splitting material. I thought I'd be funny and make a comment about you getting exercise anyway... but apparently I'm not that original.
Did you ever find out why no one was at the church?