Monday, May 12, 2008

Mother's Day

Happy Mother's Day to all the mom's. A day late.
In our ward they asked for members to submit something about their mothers. I love my mother because... is what we were to work with. Then yesterday in church they passed out little books to all the women that had all the submissions in them. The primary had little one liners that went something like this: I love my mother because she cooks good food. Or, I love my mother because she brushes my teeth when I'm too tired. I love my mother because she is nice.
Then there was a page from the elders quorum with a sentence or two. They went something like this: I love my mother because she cooked good food, was a wonderful mother and went to my sporting events. Or I love my wife because she is a great mother, makes good food, and is good looking!
Then there were the submissions from the relief society members that were a paragraph or two long that were detailed and usually didn't mention food. I submitted one. The Relief Society president asked me specifically to write something because I mentioned to her that I liked to write. I hope she wasn't disappointed. Anyway, here is my tribute.

I love my mother because she always put the Lord first. Her #1 priority was evinced in her uncompromising standards in what she said, what she did, and how she raised her children. Although we weren't #1 in her life, we were never neglected. In putting the Lord above all else she raised her kids as He would have her do. It was because of her great love for the Lord that she took on the task of homeschooling her six kids after feeling the promptings of the Spirit to do so. I know I have benefited from this decision as well as many others Mom has made under the direction of the Lord. Thank-you, Mother, for your example and diligence in loving God with all your heart, might, mind and strength.

3 comments:

SouthfieldFam said...

How I hope my kids grow up and say something like that about me! They can't say that I am a good cook so I have to hold out hope for something else! Do you think you'll homeschool Morgan?

Melanie said...

I will homeschool Morgan and the rest. :)

Nancy said...

What a beautiful tribute to your mother!