Monday, September 8, 2008

Smarties!

On Friday Aaron dropped me off at the doors of Wal-Mart so I could run in and get a cookie sheet. I'd been hankering Texas Sheet Cake recently but my large cookie sheet, which was poor quality had turned to rust, so I needed a new one. So I was just going to run into the store and get it, then we were going to go to lunch and then a movie. (Batman! Woo!) On my way to the kitchen isles I pass isles of Halloween stuff, and in the middle isle they had a bunch of Halloween candy. So early! I was walking past these displays in the middle of the main isle and noticed that there was a huge 3 1/2 pound bag of Smarties for only $1.97! Could this be? There was the huge price tag, clear as crystal, which was an all encompasing price for other candies as well. But I have a weakness for Smarties. Plus, this was about the same price as you could get the little bags for! So I got a cookie sheet, (good quality this time) AND a giant bag of Smarties. We were planning on stopping at a dollar store before the movie anyway, for treats. So I just was contributing to the movie treats.

So I go to pay for my wares. The only lines that aren't HUGE are the self service ones, so I went there. I rang up my two items and paid for them, and only when I looked at the receipt did I notice that the Smarties were actually $5! Oh no you don't! So I go to the lady who monitors the self service lanes and tell her that they have mislabled the price of the Smarties. I wouldn't have gotten the Smarties if they were $5. I only got them because it seemed too good to be true. (Apparently it was.) So she runs back to look. Yes. They are labeled $1.97. So she calls a CSM. We tell her the situation. She looks at the size of the bag with disbelief as I tell her I thought they were $1.97. She thinks I'm making it up. So she goes back to look. She returns and says she saw completely different candy for that amount. Not Smarties. Well, I know I am right, so I go back through the store and show her what I mean. She can no longer deny that I found a 3 1/2 lb. bag of Smarties for $1.97. So she tells me to go back and tell the first lady to give them to me for the discounted price. I think she was going to stay at the candy to try to sort out the pricing issue. So I went back to the first lady and conveyed my message. But apparently in order to refund some money the CSM has to use her special key! Great! So we waited for her to return. She did. And she came back with a verdict. The sign with the price had been swiveled. The bags of candy on the other side of the sign were supposed to be $1.97 while the candy on the side with the Smarties was $4.98. But I still got my money back! Hoowaa! Let this be a lesson to you. I will not be had! Consequently Morgan has a love for Smarties that must be hereditary, (I guess I did give him something besides my crooked pinkies and allergies!) and always requests them. I had the open bag on the counter too close to the edge. Morgan reached up and pulled the whole bag to the floor, then snatched handfuls of the candy off the floor and ran away giggling. It made me laugh.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

WOW! We must be sisters! We already knew that you and I share a love of Smarties, but I totally craved them especially today and bought some! :D

Jana Lee Bumblebee said...

This should be the first item in your food storage--always something you like the best.

My sister stored cherry pie filling & choc chips.