Sunday, September 28, 2008

A new Sunday tradition!

I've decided to make it a tradition to post a few journal snippets each Sunday. (Until I run out of good ones!) I recently started reading my journal from January 2001-November 2002. This journal is packed with gems of embarrassment. It is also packed with missionary crushes, boys and pity parties. I was sixteen to eighteen years old in this one.

Feb. 4 2001
"I have some sound advice for anybody. Don’t pray for crazy things. I have never told anyone this before, but awhile back, while anticipating a combined activity when we would learn to swing dance, I would shudder at the thought of getting stuck with Seth. It would be an embarrassing, terrible night. So I prayed that I wouldn’t have to dance with him. Guess what? I did. And it was an embarrassing, terrible, but humbling experience."
Yeah. I learned my lesson! He was a boy in my Sunday school class whom I really disliked. As did most of the class.

Feb. 19 2001
Ahh, the sibling rivalry between Jason and me was paramount. I wrote a whole page about his guilty meanness and my picked-on-ness. The entry started like this,
"Jason makes me so mad I want to scream! Ahhgh" And ended with this, "I can’t wait till I move out."

March 20, 2001
"Yesterday was moms 46th b-day. Wow. Talk about old….I hope I’m never that old."
Hah! I actually have changed my mind. I DO hope I make it to 46! In fact, I hope I'm live long enough to hit age 50!

March 25, 2001
Okay, so there was this missionary, Elder Felix, (I even found out his first name was Jeremy) with whom I was in love. One week after church I got up the nerve to talk to him about someone he may have known from his hometown. I wrote two pages of our detailed, yet embarrassing conversation. Here is how I end it.
"By this time Jason was nearby and laughing at me. Dork. This is a day I will always remember. Pretty corny huh? Maybe I won’t."

April 10, 2001
One of my only discovered talents is my ability to play foos ball and then brag about it. :) Though the following passage isn't funny or anything, I will share it to boost my ego. We were visiting some relatives in Utah, a family with 8 boys.
"But during our visit there, I played some fose ball. I won Joe 10-3, I won mom 10-3, and Tyrell 10-3, Jacob 10-2, even though he was harder to me, he only got 2. I won Austin 4-10 and Jonathan (Jacobson) 2-10 or 3-10 I think. That was cool. O yeah, I won Ryan 3 or 4-10."
Go me!

April 26, 2001
For a Laural and Priest activity we went on a hike at Celebration Park after cleaning the church one Saturday morning. Here is part of what I said about it.
"I was all by myself the hole time, except when I was stalking the Neiders. Okay, I wasn’t stalking them, just following them around."
The Neiders are twin girls my age. I later became better friends with them. They are cool.
For the ride home....
"Jordan Millar took me and John Kunz home. That was awkward. I don’t think Jordon likes me very much. Not a single word was spoken the whole way home…The only thing said was 'Thanks for the ride,' from me when I got out and a 'Yup' from Jordan. I really don’t think he likes me. Not cause of that though. He’s a boy, so of coarse he doesn’t like me. It would be unnatural."
I wanna say that I was over-reacting, but....at that time in my life, I wasn't.

2 comments:

Shelly Merryweather said...

I think it's funny that Jason is always in the background being mean. I think it is so funny to read old journal entries, whenever I read mine I think "am I really that retarded" its fun.

Anonymous said...

puuuhlease!! if anyone had reason to complain it was ME! I was always happy and joyful, you were always the negative bitter angry child! we sure did hate each other though.