Thursday, February 19, 2009

Cold Climate

Don't let him fool you, this is the face of a very guilty boy.

Lately this mischievous child has learned that chairs make great stools. He has also learned that the counter tops are unexplored playgrounds. It's not hard to push a kitchen chair over to the counter - I know, because my two year old can do it - and with the chair in place it's not hard to get onto the counter. (I know this for the same reason as above.)

So, yesterday when I was in the bathroom for a very short amount of time Morgan saw an opportunity. When I came out he was pushing a kitchen chair back under the table. So, thinking that he was just tidying up a bit I praised Morgan for his efforts. Then I noticed a bulge in his cheek. Then I put two and two together. It's not hard, because I can do it. While I was in the bathroom for no more than a minute, Morgan pushed the chair to the counter, climbed onto it, crammed a gobstopper in his mouth, got off the counter, and replaced the chair. So conniving! I didn't think two year olds were supposed to have that conspiring ability.

Today he climbed onto the table and started playing with the thermostat box. I saw this happen, so I made him get down and reprimanded him. Why didn't I think to look at the thermostat to see which buttons he'd pushed and switches he'd flipped? A mystery. This was around noon. At 4:30 I finally checked it. He'd turned the heat off and the air conditioning on. Now, the AC was set to keep the house around 74 degrees, so not too big a deal right? Right. If you have the AC set to automatic, which we always do. Morgan switched it to on. Meaning that the air was blowing constantly for four hours or so. I did notice that there was air coming out much more often than usual, but I didn't notice the air was cold. Honestly, it only got down to 65 degrees. We heat our house to 67, so not much of a difference. But oh boy, what a little menace I have.

6 comments:

Martha said...

Lol!!!! Oh what are we going to do with these smart little guys??? Dallin is now 16 months, but he has already figured out how to climb up on my kitchen table. He can also unlock my sliding glass door!

Stephanie said...

hahaha! that is so funny.

Tiffany Hales said...

Send him over, I will have Mark teach him a thing or two, Mark's current obsession, scissors.....

Shelly said...

It is just you and him, you wouldn't think he would get away with so much :). He has learned how to be really sneaky, I am not surprised though cause he is so bright.

Anonymous said...

Children can surprise you at how sneaky they can be. They like to test their boundaries. Morgan is still a cutie though.You can just see his little brain working though. Mommy is in the bathroom, so if I hurry I can move this chair and get me a gobstopper and put the chair back before mommy finds out.

Mom

Jana Lee Bumblebee said...

First child always wizens the parents. 2nd child won't have near as much fun.

My advice: Notice every horizontal surface from his point of view & then figure out to hide, lock up, or disguise stuff.

Morgan is a cutie but kids his age are only eyeblinks away from household disasters. Best defense? Good offense.