Saturday, February 14, 2009

Elmo!

Yesterday we went to Kid to Kid since they are having a big sale this weekend, (buy 1 get 1 free on all discounted items.) But mostly we went for Elmo.
He hadn't arrived yet when we first got there, so Morgan went to the toy section of the store and played while I perused the shirts nearby. Then Aaron spotted the big red monster, so I tried to get Morgan into a position where he would see him. But, get this, he was fighting me on it because he wanted to play with an ELMO toy! Okay, maybe not that significant....
When we got him to the crowd of kids and parents thronging Elmo, Aaron lifted Morgan so he could see. His reaction was stunned silence. At first. Then he pointed and said Elmo and tried to fight his way through the kids in front of us. I held him back and we waited our turn, then I set Morgan loose. Elmo knelt down and held his arms out for Morgan. Morgan took one step forward, then turned and tried to flee. I guess we prefer our Elmo to be significantly smaller than us. So I handed the camera to Aaron and picked up Morgan and went up to Elmo and tried to persuade Morgan to give him high five and such. But he just wasn't too sure about the floppy red guy with the lolling tongue. (Note: Elmo doesn't actually HAVE a tongue on the show.) After getting the picture we yielded to the other kids waiting in line.

I continued to shop and Morgan returned to the toys. But then he'd catch sight of Elmo. The rest of the time we were there Morgan stalked Elmo at a distance, preferring to watch him safely behind a clothes rack. Soon there weren't many kids around and Elmo would engage with Morgan. Morgan would do his normal show-off stunts, (hit himself in the head, fall to the floor, etc) and Elmo would copy or whatever.
As I was paying for the goods Morgan was finally brave enough to go up to Elmo. (It helped that they were now handing out candy.) And, with Morgan's clever cuteness he even managed to mooch a second piece off of them. (I think our little boy had them pretty enchanted at this point.)

P.S. Happy Valentines Day!

P.P.S. Morgan ate six stickers today.

5 comments:

Stephanie said...

hahaha! this post is so funny. Why DOES Elmo have a tongue?

Jana Lee Bumblebee said...

Do you Elmo was a boy or girl. Just wondered because sometimes that affects how personable the character is.

What do you mean "ate 6 stickers?"

Melanie said...

I think the height of Elmo would suggest a girl.
Um, we have a sticker book and I gave several to Morgan. (He kept coming back for more and who can say no to him?) But then I wondered what was happening to them all. Then I found a soggy half of one in his mouth. I still haven't found the others...

Shelly said...

I'm not gonna lie that elmo kinda freaks me out!

Arianne said...

That is a scary Elmo, I must find one to take Kallie to!